Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The Sweetest Spell

I brought this book home by mistake but once I started reading I couldn't put it down. I had judged it by the cover and to me it looked like a not too original love story. There is a love story in here but there is also so much more. Suzanne Selfors has an incredibly original story here. These are the first sentences of the book:

I was born a dirt-scratcher's daughter.
     I had no say in the matter. No one asked, "Wouldn't you rather be born to a cobbler or a bard? How about a nobleman or a king? Are you certain that dirt-scratching is the right job for you?"
                  If someone had asked, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have answered, "My heart is set on being a dirt-scratcher. I'm really looking forward to a life soured by hunger, backbreaking work, and ignorance. That sounds delightful. Sign me up."

Just after she was born, Emmeline was brought to the forest and left to die because of her deformed foot that was thought to be a curse on her village. She was kept alive by some cows. Yes, cows. She lives but is shunned by everyone and then the village is flooded and everything washes away including her and the adventure begins. She finds a safe place, realizes she has the gift of being the only one that can make chocolate from milk, gets kidnapped for her magic and on and on.

The Sweetest Spell is an adventure with love and magic and so many places rich and poor to experience. Read this book!
     
             

No comments:

Post a Comment