Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Secret for a Song by SK Falls



Saylor’s only excitement in life is to make herself so sick that she may get a reaction from her mother, or stump the doctors at the hospital. She has Munchausen Syndrome, but she doesn’t just think she’s sick, she makes herself sick. She carries a syringe in her pocket and has spit into it to inject herself in the chest causing abscesses.   She’s calculated that an abscess will make her sick longer than other things she’s tried.

“I’d forgotten the kind of high I got from seeing a new doctor-the one in my hometown was so used to seeing me. That wide-eyed sense of honest to God wanting to help was so rare to capture anymore.”

While volunteering at the hospital, Saylor is setting up the chairs for a support group for people with terminal illness. She lies to join the group and meets some people who really are sick. Drew is someone she’s immediately drawn to and she goes further into the lie she’s created.

This book is very interesting and so well written that I wanted to jot down sentences every few minutes. I am looking forward to reading something else by SK Sykes.

No comments:

Post a Comment