Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Almost Perfect



I haven't written since I went to the YA Literature Symposium, probably because I had too much to say. The symposium was the best conference I've attended because it was all about young adult authors and young adult books.
There was a mixer the first night and someone wrote on my sheet that he 'wrote a YA book'. Without looking up I told him he couldn't just put that down without actually writing a book. I looked up to see Brian Katcher, winner of the 2011 Stonewall Book Award for Almost Perfect.
If you want to read this book don't read this review as the next line has a spoiler.

This book hit me deeply and it was the first book I've read with a transgender character. Logan is an eighteen-year-old high school student in Missouri. He's depressed because his girlfriend cheated on him and now they've split. He notices the new girl in town, Sage, and they become involved in a friendship that they both want to be something more. Sage finally tells Logan she is biologically a boy.

I felt I knew these two characters and felt what they felt. I learned so much about what a transgender teen has to go through just to get through the day. This book will stay with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment